01 August, 2008

He Got Game

David Falk is strictly business
When he talks, people listen
Black Cat

A lot of people don’t like David, but he’s the best at what he does. What he does is get underneath your skin, whoever he’s negotiating with, because he figures out what your objectives are, your angles. He understands the market; he understands the players. He’s a brash, arrogant, egotistical, aggressive negotiator, which is good, because when you have someone represent you, you want him to do that. Marketing-wise, he’s great. He’s the one who came up with the concept of Air Jordan.”

Michael Jordan – from an interview with the USA Today

When I first began playing basketball, it was something that I wanted to learn for two reasons: it enabled me to tag along with my older brother to the playground, and then I wanted to get better so that could contribute to a team...instead of hearing ‘when you get the ball, don’t shoot it...pass it to me! As a futbol player, there were numerous amounts of things I didn’t understand on the court, so I practiced and I did some research.

The encyclopedia and dictionary were always a favorite in the Gilbert home, and I began learning by reading about the history and regulations of basketball. From there I relied on the hit television series NBA Inside Stuff, NBA Live video games by Electronic Arts, and NBA Entertainment home videos. The movies were the best of my discoveries as I was able to study the game and players like never before. I was raised a Philadelphia 76ers fan, however in later years I would cheer for the New York Knicks, and Los Angeles Lakers. Nevertheless, I have always marveled at the play of Michael Jeffery Jordan, and his relentless attack on all teams that opposed the Chicago Bulls.

You couldn’t have been a fan of the NBA during the 1990’s and not cheered for Michael Jordan. No matter whom your team was, or your affiliation, MJ in some capacity had a place in your heart. Be it, the Slam Dunk contest, the annual All-Star game, his Jordan sneakers, Gatorade, Wheaties, McDonalds’s, Hanes, or Ball Park Franks, he is and was everywhere. As one that craved all that basketball had to offer, it wasn’t long before I learned the name, David Falk. I knew he was Jordan, Patrick Ewing, Alonzo Mourning, and Juwan Howard’s agent, but it wasn’t until many years later that I understood what it meant to represent a professional athlete.

I graduated from Temple University, on May 17, 2001. I’ll never forget that date, because it meant so much to my family and I. Needless to say, the next step after college was the bight lights and big stage of New York City, and the NBA. I secured a job within the Corporate Communications department at the League Office, and working there was my dream of making it to the NBA come true. When I was younger, I thought I would be playing professionally, but I did get there, just in a different light than I had always pictured. My experiences at the League continue to provide me with wisdom and guidance, as I have shifted gears into journalism.

My best friend Damon Jones worked in the Community Relations department, and he tried his hardest to teach me the difference between my internships and the corporate world. I struggled after my first month. I had never experienced anything like that environment. I wasn’t prepared nor was I ready, however Damon showed me the ropes, and assisted me where he could. The biggest thing he taught me was about the business side of pro ball. Through him, I learned about agents and their companies. Prior to that, I didn’t know SFX Sports, from BDA Sports. I know now, which makes my job as a correspondent that much easier. It is just as important for me to build friendships and working relationships with the athletes as it is with their representation. Not in all cases, but in some instances it helps.

This past Tuesday, I covered an event in New York City, and during the brief question and answer session I asserted myself and asked several questions, while making a few statements. A short time later I was approached by a man, as he walked over to me on the blind side, like a defensive end would encounter a quarterback. He spoke first and as I turned, I couldn’t believe my eyes. It was David Falk, the BEST sports agent ever, and one of the most if not the most POWERFUL man in the NBA.
He complimented me on my statements, and he also served me with some great business advice. It’s difficult to put into words his importance in the game of basketball. If you are a fan of Jordan sneakers you can thank Falk first and then MJ, if you idolized Air Jordan you can thank MJ and Falk, if you or your children enjoyed Space Jam...you can thank Falk first, as it was his idea to pair Jordan with Bugs Bunny for the film, and then MJ, and if you ever wanted to grow up and be an agent, you can thank Falk.

Jerry McGuire, Arliss Michaels, Ari Gold, that’s child’s play, Falk Associates Management Enterprises...now that’s the real deal.


Watch the video below for more on David Falk:


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Really good interview. Keep it up!

Anonymous said...

Good job baby...I didn't know you could learn about basketball from the encyclopedia, maybe I'll try it. Great interview!

-AE

Chris Cason said...

Defenitely the most important man behind the players. David Falk is the reason a lot of NBA players are getting paid what they are. He comes off as a nice guy, you'd expect him to be serious most of the time. Great work AG.

Chris Cason said...

Is that some Ms. Jade I hear at the end?

CathrynMarie said...

great interview - its cute how you look all breathless when introducing him. Shows the level of respect you honestly have or him that is beyond words.

Anonymous said...

Very good interview, David Falk seems to be a real cool and classy guy.

Mizzo said...

Yes brothaman yes! This is what I'm talking about! Very good work.