26 June, 2009

Timeless

Love
Versus

"I perform like Mike...anyone, Tyson, Jordan, Jackson..."

Notorious B.I.G. - Victory

I was driving on the beltway in Montgomery County, Maryland, listening to WKYS FM...when my fellow Temple alum, Deja Perez announced that Michael Jackson had been rushed to the hospital due to cardiac arrest.

Human Nature

So here I am in the bat mobile...Madeleine is riding shotgun, and the news that Michael Jackson passed enters our air space. I'm not concentrating on it because my main objective is safety, but I begin to reflect to my childhood as the familiar tunes of his iconic music begin to soothe our shock.

Jackson was the most recognized man on planet Earth...everything he has done in the last 40 or so years has been on the world's stage. Success is tricky...in fact it's more like a double edge sword. That in my mind explains both his genius and erratic behavior...however I will judge no one...it's his legacy of music and dance that I appreciate. I don't have any children, but one day I will be sure to share the music of the Four Tops, the Temptations, Marvin Gaye, Jimi Hendrix, the Jackson 5, and Michael Jackson with them.

My favorite song is Billie Jean...its the bass line in the beginning that makes me stop, look, and listen. On that favorite song list would also include Rock With You, Workin' Day And Night, Wanna Be Startin' Somethin, Beat It, Thriller, Human Nature, P.Y.T., Dirty Diana, and Remember the Time.

If I had to pick an all-time video it would be Thriller of course, and then Beat It. I really LOVE the Beat It video and I can do all the moves...been doing them for years, and yes...I just have to pay tribute to it one day at my wedding.

I also love to moonwalk...I find myself doing it for no reason sometimes. There are two moments that I will never forget...the first is when he did the moonwalk for the very first time...that will forever be timeless...the genesis of that move is so fascinating. The other thing that really helped me understand how important Jackson is, was when he teamed up with Michael Jordan for the video Jam. Jordan actually took time away from the 1992 NBA Playoffs to work with Jackson and shoot the video.

He is gone but not forgotten...his music will live forever.

3 comments:

Mr Bru Cru said...

His music is timeless. Never gets old. RIP Michael Jackson, very well said Ant.

Chris Cason said...

Very well written AG.

I grew up on MJ's music and keep a steady rotation of him through my musical library.

When I heard of his passing, it was like it was unbelievable, you had to be assured and the facts that he was gone had to be confirmed because even though we are all human, he seemed like he would live forever.

This came from Isaac Perry and I think it speaks volumes about MJ; "It's not about living forever, but leaving something that will."

With the way he was abused in the media and tabloids, I'm glad everyone remembered why they fell in love with him in the first place and there will never, ever be another entertainer of that calibur again.

Unknown said...

You guys know that this is a sports blog, but with the passing of Michael Jackson, I had to take time out to remember him the best way I could. Thanks for checking in with your thoughts.