14 July, 2010

Top Gun


"I got more power than the New York Yanks..."

Chuck D - Miuzi Weighs a Ton

The New York Yankees lost two mainstays recently, as public address announcer Bob Sheppard and owner George Steinbrenner died a few days apart from one another.

Business

I grew up a Yankees fan, and throughout the years I could always count on a few things once I got off the 4 Train at 161st Street. For starters Yankee Stadium would greet me with all her glory, and once inside...Sheppard's voice would boom with poetic grace, Derek Jeter would play in his spectacular All-Star fashion, and The Boss was at the helm.

Today, the old Yankee Stadium is gone, and Sheppard and The Boss have passed...however Jeter is there as the Captain...steering the team toward a new chapter.

In 2001, I wanted nothing more than a World Series victory due to the tragic events in September, and while the Yankees fell to the Diamond Backs in 7-games...it was just what New York City needed to assist with the healing process. Now with the loss of some very important persons...another run at the title would do both the organization and city some good.

I'll see you in October.



Photo: Mike Albans/New York Daily News

No comments: