23 April, 2011

The Sixth Sense


"Well should I get the new J's or the Kobe's..."

Andre 3000 - 30 Something

It's the playoffs and the rule of thumb is to win, or simply go home. I understand that it's been roughly 4-months since I've written anything for this blog...which is a sign of the times. First things first, I've been super busy, and now I have a tumblr account.

Nevertheless while a few things have changed...it's good to see that a lot of teams in the NBA have a familiar look and feel.

Pursuance

Last week I was in Boston, and upon my return home, I had to decide on either taking a cab or the train from the airport...I decided on the latter and within a few minutes of taking a seat, I was in earshot of a conversation about the Lakers.

In the ensuing minutes between stops...a woman says, "Did you see Kobe crying like a little girl last night?" 

I turned to her direction with a Magic Johnson like smile, and then proceeded to look through my phone, and read via twitter.

I don't understand the animosity that people have for the Lakers guard...however I do appreciate the love and fervor that fans have for their teams.

I grew up a 76ers fan, and once Charles Barkley packed his bags for Phoenix, I pledged my allegiance to the New York Knicks. The interesting thing both these teams had in common was Michael Jordan.

Jordan is one of the greatest players in the modern era, and while I loved his sneakers, and watching him fly...he ruined any chance of a championship. I couldn't fully cheer for him, however I did respect his game, and whenever I could...I would do my best to emulate his moves.

The point I'd like to make is simple...I'm not asking anyone to root for Kobe Bryant, or the Lake Show for that matter...I just think it would be a good idea to pay attention to what he is doing now, because basketball players like him are one in a million.

Carpe Diem.




Photo: Jed Jacobsohn/Getty Images

No comments: