02 June, 2011

Acknowledgement


"Pound for pound, I'm the best to ever come around here..."

Jay-Z - What More Can I say

For the second time in his career, the City of Philadelphia honored the accomplishments of light heavyweight champion, Bernard Hopkins.

Native Son

Yesterday Philadelphia's mayor Michael Nutter hosted the Executioner, at the famed Rocky statue for his recent victory over Jean Pascal. With the win, he became the oldest person (age 46) in the sport to achieve a world title, surpassing George Forman who had previously held that distinction.

The champion addressed a crowd of boxing fans, and well wishers from his old neighborhood by saying, "I dealt myself a bad hand, or life dealt me a bad hand...however you want to put it, but I played my Jacks, like they were Aces..."

His career is that of which legends are told, nonetheless, it's not over until Hopkins says so, which isn't at least another 4-years away.

With his savvy and craftsmanship in the ring...the best is still yet to be seen.

Words and Pictures: @axgilbert

No comments: