07 February, 2012

Confidence


"You don't see just how wild the crowd is, you don't see just how fly my style is..."

Kanye West - Champion

The only thing constant in this world is change, and so far this year has been like none other. Obviously it's a shortened 66-game season...but one team has learned to take every advantage, capitalizing on their cohesive nature, and never quit attitude.

Guts

The Philadelphia 76ers defended their home court on Monday night against a fired up Kobe Bryant and his Los Angeles Lakers. It was a game of two halves as Bryant had a blistering 24-points at intermission, but it was the superb shooting of Lou Williams who amassed 14-points in the 4th quarter to carry the Sixers to a 95-90 victory.

The stakes were high as a sold out Wells Fargo Center rocked with a chorus of Sixers and Lakers fans, not too mention the celebrities in attendance which would rival a who's who at the Staples Center including, actor Terrence Howard, rapper Meek Mill, and Philadelphia Eagles players Lesean McCoy, and Desean Jackson. On top of all that, Bryant moved into 5th place in the NBA's all-time scoring list during the 2nd quarter...however the 76ers stayed within striking distance to set the stage for a Lou Williams scoring binge that included 7-straight points that broke the Lakers back.

When asked about the final period, Williams stated, "that's the quarter when you win, that's where you make it happen. From the stat of my basketball career and for as long as I could remember, I've always played well in the 4th quarter, because I know that's the most important time of a basketball game. I've been blessed to be put in the position professionally where I have a coach and teammates that understand that about my game, and put the ball in my hands."

Philadelphia is leading the Atlantic Division with an 18-7 record, and while this team doesn't get the national recognition they rightfully deserve, they continue to press forward, and win games.

Words: @axgilbert

Photo: Associated Press

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'll right away snatch your rss feed as I can't find your e-mail subscription link or e-newsletter service. Do you've any? Please permit me recognize in order that I could subscribe. Thanks.
Sorel Women's Cate The Great Boot