08 August, 2008

Crazy 8's

Florence Griffith-Joyner - Seoul Gold
Sir Charles - precision and power
Redeem Team
West Philadelphia versus the world
Allyson Felix - God's gift


"You go ooh and ahh when I jump in my car...people treat me like Kareem Abdul-Jabbar...no matter who you are, when I'm up to par..."

Chuck D - Yo! Bumrush The Show


08.08.08 is upon us and in the tradition of the Olympics...let the games begin. I couldn’t resist naming this crazy 8’s, not as a reference to the 1993 Philadelphia Flyers line of Eric Lindros, Mark Recchi, Brent Fedyk and their jersey numbers (88, 8, and 18), but because this date is a historic, once in a lifetime occurrence...unless of course you feel like Teena Marie and have been here before?

The Games of the XXIX Olympiad hold the dreams, fears, ups, and downs of athletes and countries from all walks of life. When I think about the games, my first memory comes from a sweat shirt that my father used to wear when I was a child. It was a navy-blue hoodie that said
USA ’84 across the front. I didn’t realize what that meant, but I do remember it well. It’s interesting what we recall from childhood, nevertheless my recollection of this world event begins with Florence Griffith-Joyner in Seoul, Korea during the '88 games. She was as talented and graceful as she was beautiful. She provided black children across the globe with hope, as I too was inspired and captivated by her medals (3 gold, 1 silver) that year.

Four years later Charles Barkley, Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson, and the Dream Team would take Barcelona by storm, thus changing me and the global aspect of basketball forever.

In 1996, it was Barkley and my favorite sharp-shooter Reggie Miller that led the charge in Atlanta for the gold, as Mia Hamm, Julie Foudy, Kristine Lilly and company ushered in gold for a new era in women’s soccer.

There are two things from 2000 in Sydney that I enjoyed...the first was the fact that Allan Houston of the New York Knicks (I was working as an intern for the Knickerbockers) was on that gold medal team, and last but not least, it was Vince Carter who jumped and dunked over the 7-foot Frederick Weiss, which has to be one of the best moves in basketball I have ever seen.

2004 in Athens was bittersweet. Dawn Staley of North Philadelphia (Ramon Rozen Housing Projects) carried the flag for the USA during the opening ceremonies which was AMAZING, and the Men’s basketball team didn’t playing too well, as they earned the bronze medal. I did however enjoy watching women’s beach volleyball...with Kerri Walsh and Misty May, as well as the Brazilian team, but that is another story.

What I anticipate this year is the opportunity for Kobe Bryant* and the United States to redeem*
USA basketball*, Allyson Felix and Lopez Lomong in track, Jessica Mendoza and Cat Osterman in softball, and Michael Phelps as he tries to swim into history. I love playing and watching sports, so I always look forward to Games.

Stars and Stripes forever!

* - Click on Kobe Bryant or USA basketball for a Nike video...and click the word redeem above, and if you watch the video until the end...you will see a moment with LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, and I. 

3 comments:

CathrynMarie said...

As the sports fan that I am - I just can't get into the Olympics this yr :/

this post brought back memories of when I did enjoy em tho =)

Chris Cason said...

My first Olympic moment was watching the Dream Team as an 8 year old. I watched mainly because of MJ. I had always dreamed to be 6'6, dominate games and captivate the heart and soles of millions. I didn't know at the time, the signifigance of what him wearing the letters USA meant, but since it has never left me, it must have been pretty important.

Anonymous said...

Flo Jo was my favorite and my little sister had the doll.