20 April, 2009

Legacy

Past, Present, and the Future



"Destiny lays in my hands..."

Notorious B.I.G. - Victory

In the picture above you can see me whispering something to Kobe as he was preparing to leave, after an appearance at a Nike event in lower Manhattan. Two weeks prior to that encounter...Bryant had scored 81 points against the Toronto Raptors, making him second only to Wilt Chamberlain for most points scored in an NBA game. 

Candid Camera

I had something to tell KB24, and my friend and fraternity brother Stanley Lumax took a picture. I wanted to connect the Philadelphia dots with Kobe on his historic feat...as history repeated itself on February 2, 2009. 

I was in New York City to cover the Knicks vs. Lakers game, and Stanley was going to attend and take pictures, but at the last minute I couldn't get him a photo credential, so I was flying solo as usual. Bryant scored 61 points...good enough for the top spot in Madison Square Garden, surpassing both Michael Jordan and Bernard King...this time however instead of having a photo to remember the magic moment, I found a video on YouTube that summed it up a little better.

Last week in searching for footage of Spike Lee's upcoming documentary Kobe Doin' Work, I found the clip above that shows in its entirety, the press conference after the 61 point performance...and while I don't boast...I was happy to see and hear myself...as I understand that it's not only the athletes that have a legacy in their respective sports. As a journalist, I too will have something that speaks for me upon my retirement.

3 comments:

Chris Cason said...

When it's all said and done for journalist, just as with players, all we have left is our memories and being there for this historical night and having to be there during the press conference, it has to be up there as one of the best.

Unknown said...

Hey Christopher I'm with you man...it was a really special moment...and with Kobe and LeBron, there are so many more historic nights ahead of them.

CathrynMarie said...

What one would kill to have your memory bank of things you've witnessed :)