16 June, 2009

The Five Deadly Venoms

Four
Love
Fresh
Family
Focus

"Trying get that Kobe number...one over Jordan..."

Kanye West - Swagga Like Us

The NBA season concluded Sunday night in Orlando, as the Poison Clan closed out the Finals with a stellar 99 - 86 victory over the Magic.

Mission Statement

No one believed in the Lakers more than themselves. I was in Orlando last week...and even I was on the edge of my seat after what happened in Game 3, but with determination, teamwork, and a few mishaps from the home team, the Lake Show made it happen over the next two games...capturing their 15th title in franchise history.

I had an hunch that things would be different in Game 4 and 5, because after I conversed with Kobe, and Odom before and during the media availability (Wednesday afternoon) they both spoke candidly about staying the course and closing the Magic out. They were so relaxed that we started talking about things other than the game, as it was just really good to catch up.

This was a special year for me, as I witnessed some classic moments this season...from Andre Iguodala's buzzer beater in LA, to LeBron's crab dribble, as well as the 61-points posted by Bryant in Madison Square Garden...its been quite a show.

In covering the 76ers, Wizards, Cavs, Magic, and Lakers this year...I must admit that I began to see the evolution of each team. The 76ers showed promise in making the playoffs two years in a row, and while the Wizards had a tough season, they were able to develop JaVale MaGee which will come in handy next year. I was surprised by both the Cavs and the Magic, as I thought Cleveland would advance to the Finals, and not Orlando, but that is why the games are played, won, and lost. Last but not least what I noticed from the Poison Clan was a growth and maturity that very few teams have. Losing to Boston last year changed the Lakers, as they learned to win by losing.

Let's see...I covered the Lake Show in the following cities: Philadelphia, DC, New York, the Meadowlands, Los Angeles, and Orlando. They won all but 2 games, with one of the losses in Game 3...and while they didn't always play well, it was usually good enough to win. The formula worked for them to the tune of "I Love LA" and another championship banner.

Consequently, the parade and celebration is tomorrow in the City of Angeles. I firmly believe that this team can win again, and we will have NBA deja vu with the Celtics and Lakers trading championships. Last year is 1984 in which the C's took it all, and this year is '85 with the Lake Show victorious.

The Poison Clan wins again, Kobe and Fisher have 4, Phil has 10, and I have a feeling that the Magic will be back again.

Stay tuned sports fans.






Photos: Garrett Ellwood/NBAE, Jesse D. Garrabrant/NBAE, Anthony Gilbert/AXG

4 comments:

Chris Cason said...

I've enjoyed following all of your coverage as you were witness to a lot of memorable moments this season. Covering the NBA Finals has to be on top of the list.

It's going to be a long wait until next season and I'm hoping the Pro-Am and Summer League can help me with my NBA withdrawal.

Unknown said...

Christopher, thanks for reading all season. I think I'm going to switch gears a little and cover some MLB games. I know that you will enjoy the Pro-Am and summer leagues...I'm sure you see some great games in the Chi.

Mr Bru Cru said...

I can't tell you how annoyed I get when you don't write LOL, but when I do have the honor to check your blog and you have written something new, I take my time reading it. Since Kobe's play during the summer I knew from Day 1 that L.A. was taking it, and you should know cause I'd randomly hit you up telling you that lol. Thanks for keeping me busy at work. I look forward to next season, and to your next post. We did it Ant!!!!

6magazine said...

Congrats on all your success. You did a great job in covering the finals. If the Lake Show can keep Odom and Ariza they will most likely be back again.