10 June, 2009

The Super Friends

Strength
Will
Style

"I had to lose myself, so I can love you better..."

Lauryn Hill - Lose Myself

I'm in Florida for the NBA Finals, and while it looks a little like Southern California...things are somewhat different, yet the same.

Superman

The Amway Arena is a welcome change of venue for the Orlando Magic as they...like the Poison Clan have won at home, while losing on the road. These are my first of any NBA championship series so I too had to shake off the pregame jitters. It was quite surprising as I've been writing for a few years, but once I was able to soak everything in, the game began and Kobe Bryant put on a 1st quarter show.

Blue Magic had an excellent game from start to finish aside from their inability to stop turning the ball over, however they were able to play a great swarming defense to cause a few key turnovers, including one on Bryant in the waning seconds. In the end they outlasted the Lake Show 108-104. 

LA leads 2 game to 1...

My keys to the Magic's Game 3 win are as follows:
  • Orlando playing at home (They are a great team overall, but nothing beats playing at home)
  • Play and composure of Skip to my Lou...says Alston, "The league is a make-and-miss league - first two games I'm missing...I look horrible. Tonight I'm making, I look good. That's what this league is about. It's a make-and-miss league."
  • Magic offense highlighted by 4 players in double figures, none with less than 18 points
  • Total team defense, described by Kobe as "They threw the whole kitchen sink, and they did a great job staying on my body. They brought help from the weak side, simple as that."
Today at the media availability after the Lakers practice/Magic shoot around, I was able to catch up with Bryant, and Odom, as well Jameer Nelson, and Courtney Lee. I noticed that the teams were extremely loose and comfortable, and have forgotten about the previous 3 games, as they focus on tomorrow and Game 4.

I spoke to everyone in the designated media areas, except for Kobe who I saw along with legendary trainer Tim Grover in the hallway adjacent to the court. The first thing he said was that he saw me last night, but he didn't have an opportunity to say hello. Coincidentally, as I typed that sentence above Dwight Howard walked past the media work room, and politely said hello and waved.

I'm really loving it here...

4 comments:

StephD09 said...

Nice Job! Yeah I saw a slight clip of you when I was watching ESPN post session after the game. Good Look!

Chris Cason said...

Great work AG, Soak it all in. I can't imagine the feeling of being there at the NBA Finals and I was just excited to be around future NBA players. LOL. I can't imagine how loose both teams are, but it just shows how every focus is on the game ahead, not the previous one.

Keep up the great work.

CathrynMarie said...

Ohhhh! Im soooooooooo hating LOL ..luckily its just as exciting for me to relive it through you as if I were really there :)

Unknown said...

Hey everyone, thank you for supporting the blog, and my work...it really means a lot to be able to share this NBA Finals experience. This is a big moment for me, and I appreciate you!