08 November, 2009

Triumph over Tragedy

Respect

"Ignorant and mad young...wanted to be the one..."

Raekwon - Can It Be All So Simple

I covered the Sixers/Celtics game last week for an interview with Kevin Garnett, and two things dawned on me...KG is one of the best players in the league, and Rasheed Wallace is back wearing number 30 again.

Back to the Basics

Watching 'Sheed play for the C's was interesting. The main reason why is because I'm not a Boston fan, however I had a feeling of joy watching him play. Wallace has been one of my favorite players since his days at Simon Gratz H.S.

His passion, intelligence, and dexterity make him a tough opponent. He has worn #30 for years, and it wasn't until a trade from Portland to Atlanta that he switched up, and then again while a member of the Detroit Pistons. The more things change the more they stay the same, and seeing that number in a Celtics jersey made me think of Len Bias.

Bias was drafted by Boston in 1986, and a few days later he died from drug use. He was one of the best players in college basketball history and had he suited up and played, 30 would have been his jersey of choice.

After the game I caught up with Head Coach Doc Rivers, and Rasheed Wallace...here is the final score on our conversation:

AG: Len Bias would have worn the number 30 had he played with the Celtics, your thoughts coach?

Doc Rivers: I didn't know that...with Rasheed picking that same number...I don't think that was intended, but it is interesting, and its great, and we're all for that.

AG: Talk about 'Sheed and what he brings to the team:

Doc Rivers: He's great for our team...you can see that. He gives us fight, he gives us energy, he's been terrific!

AG: Talk about Len Bias:

Wallace: He would have worn 30, and I remember watching him play down in the ACC with Maryland...smashing Carolina, smashing [Georgia] Tech...you know its unfortunate what happened to him. I think he would have been, definitely a trend setter as far as power forwards go in this league, you know he would have set that bar, and its unfortunate what happened.

AG: Talk about the number:

Wallace: Definitely it's cool to share the number, but I don't think about it like that...I think about it more from my point of view, wearing it in high school, where it all started at.





Photo: Jesse D. Garrabrant/NBAE via Getty Images

2 comments:

Chris Cason said...

AG,

I thought about this very same subject this week, with the 30 at 30 special on ESPN. I never got the chance to see Len Bias play, but I've just heard stories of how dominant he was in the ACC.

Always been a huge fan of Rasheed's game and now, I believe everyone will see him in a more positive light since he's doing excellent for the C's, but you're right, I've never been a fan of the Celtics. It's just how I was raised. LOL.

Unknown said...

I didn't see the ESPN special, as I've been so busy lately...however I didn't see Bias play either, but he was the man from what I know. It's a sad story, but he has been able to teach people what not to do.

Rasheed Wallace is a great player and the C's are dangerous!