26 February, 2012

Memories


"Ain't that like LeBron James..."

Kanye West - Gotta Have It

The NBA in my opinion has the best all-star game out of all the major sports...as much as I love baseball, the MLB is close second when it comes to overall presentation.

Nostalgia

As a child I can recall watching the all-star game for two very specific reasons: the first was because I was such a fan of the professional game, and I wanted nothing more than to cheer for the likes of Charles Barkley, Michael Jordan, and Reggie Miller. The other point about the game was that Jordan would always wear his new sneakers, so I kept a keen watch on what he was wearing.

Every February Nike would release the new Jordan sneaker. Everyone around the globe anticipated what the new shoe would look like. Once the shoe made it's debut, you would wait an entire calendar year for the next one. Between the man who wore them, and the exclusivity of the footwear...the Jordan sneakers took on a life of their own. 

Fast forward to the present day, and it's safe to say that one man, and one shoe changed the industry, and sports culture forever.

Words: @axgilbert

Photo: AXG

No comments: