06 March, 2012

Humility

"My city on the map, there is no other option like a slow quarterback..."


Wale - Work


The Oklahoma City Thunder are one of the best teams in the league...and they get the job done night in and night out flying seemingly under the radar.


Go Mode


There is no time like the present for the Thunder. They are quite arguably one of the more entertaining clubs to watch, and their 30-8 record makes them statistically the 2nd best next to the Chicago Bulls. 
Last week during their stay in Philadelphia, I took time to get a better understanding of their humble superstar Kevin Durant.


First I spoke with Royal Ivey, and then KD:


AXG: You're wearing the Nike Zoom KD IV...you're with Nike now?


Ivey:  Yeah, KD got me a deal...and I wear his shoes.


AXG:  The Thunder losing last year to Dallas is in my opinion the best thing to happen to y'all.


Ivey:  You're right! We can't wait for the playoffs to start, we're so hungry right now!


AXG:  You mentioned how the lockout games helped you win the All Star MVP.


Durant:  It gave me confidence playing in those games. I was trying a lot of different stuff, and once you try stuff in a game setting, it's easier to try it in a real game, so moves I was trying then...became muscle memory in my mind with the moves I'm doing now. 


AXG:  Did you really take Mega Bus during the summer from NYC to DC?


Durant:  Yeah I did, and it was a long trip too!


AXG:  How is it that you can stay so humble?


Durant:  That's the type of person that I am. No matter what, whatever happens...I always gotta be humble, and know that at any point this can be taken away.


AXG:  You always have your mother and family around supporting you.


Durant:  Like I told you, when I was growing up, I didn't think none of this would happen. My goal was to make it to the NBA, and I had my sights set on making it to the NBA, and once I did I was like cool...whatever happens after this is a bonus. The stuff that's going on for me right now...I'm just so blessed to be in this position. First of all to have people believe in me, every single night, and to showcase my skills, and have teammates that believe in me, they trust in me. But to become an All Star, and to win an All Star MVP...that's just like on a whole other level for me man. It's a blessing, so having my mom there is like we're going through this together. It was just me, mother, my brother, and my dad living in an apartment, 2-bedroom apartment, and to go from that so quickly to this...I was 18 living in a 2-bedroom apartment, with my mom, my dad, and my brother, and months later I was in the NBA, and 5-years later I'm an All Star MVP so stuff is coming quickly, and I never expected it.


This is just the beginning for Oklahoma City, and their budding star Kevin Durant.


Words: @axgilbert


Picture: Anthony Gilbert/AXG

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice man!
All the way from Europe :-)

Ellery

Unknown said...

Thank you Ellery! I appreciate you supporting my blog all the way from Europe!