11 December, 2008

Southern Comfort

Vision of the future

"You can catch me skatin' through your town, putting it down..."

Jay-Z - Politics As Usual

When I heard that the Cleveland Cavilers had acquired Mo Williams from the Milwaukee Bucks this past summer, I thought to myself, that he wasn't the answer to the needs of the Cavs. However after watching him in the preseason, and again last night against the Philadelphia 76ers...I drove home with a changed mind.

Total Recall

Williams is listed in the Cavs media guide standing at 6'1", and weighing 190lbs, but trust me when I say, that this man plays on a much bigger scale than his frame would let on. The way he plays along side LeBron James, while posing his own threat against the opposition makes him one of the more important free agent signings of 2008. 

He was drafted by Utah in the 2nd-round of the 2003 draft, and Wednesday night against the Sixers he showed the promise that he flashed coming out of Alabama after 2 seasons. I must admit, that I went to the game so I could catch up with LeBron, but by the end of the 1st quarter, Williams had shown the national ESPN audience as well as the Philly faithful, that he is worthy of attention, finishing with 27 points, 6 rebounds, and 4 assists. 

I caught up with Williams and James after the game. Here is the score on our conversation:

GAME TIME: Talk about your game and what you bring to the team?
Mo Williams: "My game is being aggressive. You know my quickness, and being a
playmaker...I'm just trying to do things on the floor to help the team...whatever that is. I think 
collectively as a group we're doing all of the necessary things to win."

GAME TIME: Can you talk about the team defense of the Cavs?
Mo Williams: "Oh yeah, we're doing a great job on the defensive end, especially when we set 
our mind to it...when we're focused. There is nobody in our opinion that can score on us. 
Obviously you're going to have your times where you're not focused as you should, but you 
pick it up, especially days like this...but for the most part we're focused."
GAME TIME: You played college ball, what are the main differences between the college and 
pro game?
Mo Williams: "Aw man...it's different, it's different...you can't prepare yourself for this league,
you just have to get here and kind of take the bumps and bruises...and you know feel your way.
Some will adjust quicker than others, but there's no preparing for this game...not the NBA."

GAME TIME: What does Mo Williams bring to this team?
LeBron James: "He brings another guy that you can rely on down the stretch. A guy that can create for 
himself, create for others...and also a leader that can handle the ball, and make plays for myself, and
make plays for other people. Tonight was a prime example that offensively we didn't look too well
at times but Mo took it upon him self to make things happen, and that's where he's good, that's why
we got him."

GAME TIME: What does this win mean for the team's big picture?
LeBron James: "We have to continue to improve every game, every night, because we're gearing
towards something that's bigger than just winning 10 games in a row, or winning back to backs. 
We want to...we're gearing to win an NBA championship, so we got to continue to play better."

GAME TIME: Talk about the fun you have on the court and the interaction you have with the fans:
LeBron James: "Well for me, I always try to keep the game fun...you may look at my face, and 
I have a game face, but I'm very focused in the game, but I'm always having fun. And the interaction
I have with the fans...they're part of the reason why this league is as good as it is because the fans
come out every night, and no matter if you're on the road or at home they show their support, so
you always want to interact with the fans."


Photo: Shim Hyun-chul/Korea Times

6 comments:

Chris Cason said...

Telling by the way James and the Cavaliers have been playing, he has this team believeing they can beat anyone and they have a demeanor about them that should have the Celtics on notice.

The Mo Williams trade was more valuable than I thought as well. They have been succesful in splitting the minutes up with their deep back court and that team defense is what will get them to June.

Anonymous said...

Good work again brothaman. I can't believe I wasn't there, but there will be brighter days. Let's get it!

Unknown said...

Gentlemen, as always thanks for supporting the blog! I highly value your opinions. And yes the Cavs are an amazing team, outside of LeBron James, and with him they are even more of an Eastern Conference force!

CoCo said...

I hope my Hawks end their win streak Saturday night, but other than that I'll be rooting for Cleveland against the Celtics in the ECF.

Mr Bru Cru said...

Mo Williams was a problem in Milwaukee, no one really noticed it because of where he played. With the Bucks I think he was under the radar due to the fact that Michael Redd was so Praised, but he stepped it up the previous 2 season before joining the Cavs...but this year he has definitely made an impact, even last night missing Big Z they played pretty well against the Sixers. He has definitely been the surprise Signing, cause Elton Brand still seems uncomfortable in the Philly Offense, but I think he will eventually catch on...Great write again Ant.

24 Seconds said...

More and more everyday, Mo Williams looks like the steal of the 2008 summer free agency. He, to me is the missing piece LeBron needed to maybe win that Game 7 over the Celtics...Not to mention how much D. West and Big Z have stepped up so far this season.